Hanomag Sd.Kfz 251/1 Ausf.C “Magda”
“Magda” is an Sd.Kfz 251/1 Ausf.C half-track armoured fighting vehicle built on an OT-810 chassis, badged to the Panzergrenadier Divison Großdeutschland. Designed and built by the Hanomag company during World War II. The concept was to allow panzergrenadiers to keep up with panzers and provide infantry support as required. In practice, there were never enough of them and most panzergrenadier units had to make do with trucks.
The Sd.Kfz 251 was the most widely produced of German half-tracks with at least 15,252 vehicles and variants produced by various manufacturers all of which were commonly called “Hanomags” by both German and Allied soldiers. The ‘Ausf.C’ came into service in late 1941 and was the last of the Hanomags to feature the distinctively shaped rear doors. ‘The Ausf.D’ introduced in mid 1943 with a much simpler reverse sloping rear end closed using a pair of flat door panels.
Dimensions: 5.80 x 2.10 x 1.75 m (19×6.10×5.9ft)
Total weight: battle ready 7.81 tons
Crew 2: (commander, driver)
Troop Capacity: 10 Panzergrenadiers
Maximum speed: 53 km/h (33 mph)
Range: 300 km (186 miles)
Armament: 2 x MG 34 or MG 42 machine guns
Armor: 6mm to 14 mm (0.24-0.55 in)
Total production: 15,252